His Girl Friday
Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) is about to get hitched to dull insurance agent Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy) -- that's if her ex-husband, ruthless newspaper publisher Walter Burns (Cary Grant), doesn't succeed in winning her back.
Rent DVDs for only $7.99 a month.
- Howard Hawks
- TIME® Magazine List
- All-TIME 100 Movies
- Top 100 Laughs
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
His Girl FridayClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while there's no sex or bad language in this film, you do see a character jump out the window to her death and many characters pull guns on one another. There's also a considerable amount of underhanded behavior. For instance, Walter has Bruce arrested twice, gives him counterfeit money, and plans to rig the election with biased reporting.
- Sexual Content
- Some gazing into eyes, but that's it.
- A surprising amount of violence, including a woman jumping from a window. We see her face-down on the pavement below. Gunshots are aimed at a press room. Many characters aim guns at one another. Characters threaten to hurt one another, saying things like "I'm going to kick you in the teeth."
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- A lot of underhanded behavior, including lying, passing counterfeit money, stealing, gambling, bribery, and conniving. There's also considerable sexism: When a woman walks into the newsroom, one of the reporters says, "Take off your shirt." On the plus side, Hildy is a strong female role model, showing tenacity, brains, and compassion.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Everyone smokes cigarettes and Hildy and Walter take their coffee with rum.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it