After being chomped by a genetically altered spider, shy high schooler Peter Parker is endowed with amazing superpowers. And while he first uses them to win wrestling matches, he'll eventually need them to battle a villain known as the Green Goblin.
Rent DVDs for only $7.99 a month.
- Sam Raimi
- 2003 Academy Award®
- Best Visual Effects nominee
- Best Sound nominee
PG-13Stylized violence and action
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English French Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
Closed captionedLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1 French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; subtitled "trivia track"; filmmakers' commentary; special effects commentary; branching Web-isodes; music videos; trailers; TV spots; cast and crew information; character files; DVD-ROM features.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Language and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie's PG-13 rating comes from a couple of swear words, a clingy wet T-shirt, and -- particularly -- a great deal of comic book-style violence. It can get very intense and includes not just fires and explosions, but people getting vaporized, shot (off-camera), and impaled. Characters lose people close to them; a group of schoolchildren is in peril; and parents emotionally abuse their children. But the movie's core messages about empathy and responsibility are strong, and Peter Parker is one of the comic book world's more thoughtful heroes.
- Sexual Content
- Passionate kissing. MJ wears a clingy wet T-shirt in one scene.
- Lots of cartoon violence, with fight scenes (some intense), fires, explosions and people getting vaporized, shot (off-camera), and in one case, impaled. A group of schoolchildren is in peril; and parents emotionally abuse their children.
- "Ass," "damn," and one "s--tty."
- Social Behavior
- Core messages about empathy and responsibility are strong. "With great power comes great responsibility" is the lesson learned here as a new hero is born.
- Tie-in to vast quantities of related merchandise.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it