The Big Lebowski
Slacker Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski gets involved in a gargantuan mess of events when he's mistaken for another man named Lebowski, whose wife has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom. All the while, the Dude's friend, Walter, stirs the pot.
Rent DVDs for only $7.99 a month.
- Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, David Huddleston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tara Reid, Philip Moon, Mark Pellegrino, Peter Stormare, Flea, Torsten Voges, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Jack Kehler, John Turturro, James G. Hoosier, Richard Gant, Christian Clemenson, David Thewlis, Peter Siragusa, Sam Elliott, Ben Gazzara, Jon Polito
- Joel Coen
RPervasive strong language, drug content, sexuality and brief violence.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1 Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
French Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
Closed captionedLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; cast and crew information; cast and crew interview
English SDH French Spanish (Neutral)Language and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HD French: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
The Big LebowskiClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie is inappropriate for kids. The Dude is subject to a lot of violence. One group threatens to cut off his penis, while another threatens him by shoving his face in the toilet. A Malibu police chief hits him with a coffee cup. A woman's toe gets cut off (though not on screen), Walter wields a gun more than once, and Walter, the Dude, and Donny get in a fight with a group of nihilists. Women are most often treated as objects and there's some frontal female nudity. The Dude drinks and smokes pot while driving, and while doing everything else. There's lots of profanity as well.
- Sexual Content
- Some frontal nudity. The Dude and Maude have sex, but it's not graphic.
- Men threaten to cut off the Dude's penis; fighting between the Dude and some nihilists; a police chief throws a coffee cup at the Dude's head.
- Constant cursing, especially the f--k and s--t.
- Social Behavior
- A story of extortion and embezzlement set to the soundtrack of porn and drugs
- One grocery story is mentioned and pictured several times.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The Dude drinks and smokes pot while driving, and is constantly making drinks or smoking pot at other times.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it