A Nightmare on Elm Street
Years after being burned alive by a mob of angry parents, child murderer Freddy Krueger returns to haunt the dreams and waking hours of small-town teens in this spine-chilling slasher classic from director Wes Craven.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Wes Craven
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
- Top 100 Thrills nominee
RRestricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 7.1 HD, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; two audio commentaries; alternate takes; additional featurettes and more.
A Nightmare on Elm StreetClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this slasher flick has a lot of over-the-top gore and violence, with the qualifier that it's often "nightmare," surreal violence. Nightmare visions include a face being torn off to reveal a staring skull, a geyser of blood pouring out of a victim's bed and pooling in defiance of gravity on the ceiling, and so forth. It's dream-like, but fatalities still result. The young people at the center of the film, though very highly evolved for horror-movie teens circa 1984, are still sexually active and at odds with their parents.
- Sexual Content
- Teen lovers in bed together (exerting themselves loudly, though nothing is seen). Brief female nudity (a profile in heavy shadow).
- Much gore -- with the qualifier that it's often "nightmare," surreal violence, like Freddy's face getting torn off to reveal a staring skull, an endless fountain of blood pouring out of a victim's bed, and so on. Freddy's fingers are sliced off, and he's set on fire.
- R-worthy profanity including "f--k" a few times and "s--t" uttered by a few police officers.
- Social Behavior
- While heroine Nancy is smart and resourceful in fighting against the evil Freddy, her friends are a little less so, and the neighborhood grownups and authority figures are secretly vigilante murderers who cause more harm than good.
- None, although a Freddy Krueger industry of toys, models, books, and even software ensued.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- The heroine's mother is a heavy-drinking alcoholic.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it