A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
This family-friendly animated film follows the journey of Sammy, a sea turtle who leaves the beach where he was born and spends the next 50 years exploring the world's oceans, all while trying to find his first love, another turtle named Shelly.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Ben Stassen
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's AdventuresClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that A Turtle's Tale is a traditional animal adventure about a sea turtle who has to overcome countless obstacles to be reunited with his best friend and his dream mate. There are some elements of potential peril in which Sammy and his friends are separated or have to be rescued. Nothing is too upsetting, however, because we know Sammy lives to an old age (he narrates the story of his life). Children will learn a great deal about global warming, sea turtles, their habits, and their overall life cycles from hatchlings to grandparents.
- Sexual Content
- During the conversations about selecting a mate, Ray asks Sammy what his "type" is and discusses "cuties" of the opposite sex. Some flirting and eventually an embrace of sorts as Sammy and Shelly reunite.
- There are a few tense and frightening moments when Sammy, Ray, or Shelly are about to be hurt but are rescued/get away at the last minute. Sammy faces everything from predatory seagulls to commercial fisherman to sharks (one of whom turns out to be a pal) in his journey.
- Rare insults ("dumb" and "baby").
- Social Behavior
- Sammy's journey is one that teaches about friendship, the environment, love, and overcoming obstacles. The eco-friendly sequences explain why humans contaminate the sea and how pollution affects animals' everyday lives.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it