Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B
Reliving a tragic episode from pop history, this made-for-TV biopic traces the life of singer and video sensation Aaliyah Haughton, whose death in a 2001 plane crash abruptly ended the rapid rise to stardom that began while she was in her teens.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
Aaliyah: The Princess of R&BClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the TV movie Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B contains positive themes about the importance of family and being willing to work hard to reach your goals. There also are some mature themes, including the portrayal of an illicit marriage and an argument that results in some shoving. The late singer's violent death is briefly referenced. Some drinking (champagne, cocktails) is occasionally visible at social events. Not surprisingly, it features lots of Aaliyah's music and a few other artists' work.
- Sexual Content
- Aaliyah's alleged secret (and illegal) teen marriage to R. Kelly is discussed. Some costumes are midriff-revealing.
- A major argument results in yelling and shoving. Aaliyah's death is referenced but not shown.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Aaliyah's family is close and protective.
- Music by Aaliyah and other artists featured.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking (champagne, cocktails, sake) at infrequent social events.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it