When insurance actuary Warren Schmidt (Jack Nicholson) retires and his wife dies, he looks for life's meaning on a road trip to his daughter's (Hope Davis) upcoming wedding to a waterbed salesman (Dermot Mulroney). But Schmidt can't seem to get anything right. En route to the wedding, he shares his life through letters with a Tanzanian boy he's sponsoring for 73 cents a day -- and soon, Schmidt discovers renewed purpose.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Alexander Payne
- This movie is
- 2003 BAFTA®
- Best Actor nominee: Jack Nicholson
- 2003 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; deleted scenes; trailers; DVD-ROM features.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the movie includes very strong language and sexual references and situations, including adultery. Characters drink and smoke. There are tense and sad family scenes that may upset some viewers.
- Sexual Content
- Nudity and explicit sexual references.
- A sad death of a spouse.
- Very strong language.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking, smoking, and drug use.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it