Vipul Amrutlal Shah directs this sci-fi rom-com that stars Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai as Kishen and Mala, a married couple who are so miserable, they inspire their son, Bunty (Aditya Roy Kapoor), to go back in time and make his parents fall in love. With the use of a time machine created by his grandfather, Anthony Gonsalves (Randhir Kapoor), Bunty is able to play proper matchmaker so he can create a lasting love.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Vipul Amrutlal Shah
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
Hindi: Dolby Surround Pro LogicOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Action Replayy is an English-subtitled Bollywood romcom inspired by Back to the Future. There's occasional cursing (such as "s--t"). Large portions of the plot revolve around bickering parents and grandparents, as well as a young man who resists marriage because of the legacy of unhappy marriages in his family. There are a number of dance scenes featuring some suggestive dancing, with lyrics revolving around romantic longing. There are some fairly outdated gender roles at play, both in how women are portrayed as cruel shopaholics, as well as in the schemes concocted by male characters to win women over, such as changing their so-called bad attitudes (lack of interest) by ignoring them, making them cry, and confusing them until they can control them. This is all played for lighthearted comedy. While some of the music and visual thrills may appeal to kids old enough to follow subtitles, the underlying messages are iffy.
- Sexual Content
- Numerous dance sequences with suggestive dancing. Major plot points revolve around impressing women, making women fall in love, and men proving their romantic worthiness through feats of strength or arrogance.
- Cartoonish violence throughout. A man pulls a gun on two men but doesn't shoot it. A man shoots a gun, blowing the roof off a car. A man pulls a switchblade on a man, and the man in turn punches several men and slams two heads together. Men pelt a man with water balloons. Some bullying when two men take another man's shirt. A man is faux electrocuted. A high-speed chase ends up dislodging a funeral procession, sending a corpse flying onto the hood of a car and then back onto the street.
- Multiple uses of "s--t" and "damn."
- Social Behavior
- People should marry for love; children should try to empathize with their parents' own origin stories. There are some unsavory messages about romance, namely that men must win women over with shows of power and indifference, and that women can't fall in love until they change their attitude and admit defeat.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- A man wears a Jimi Hendrix T-shirt, which features Hendrix smoking a cigarette.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it