Self-aware British cad Alfie falls in lust too easily and can't commit to one woman in all of Manhattan. But when one of his lovers gets pregnant, Alfie begins to question his existence in this remake of the 1966 film of the same name.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Charles Shyer
- This movie is
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; featurettes; deleted scenes; audio commentary.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Alfie is about a smooth operator who takes pride in using women sexually and then quickly discarding them. There are many, many scenes that are insulting to women and send negative messages about how to treat them. In addition to the messages about women, characters smoke, drink, and make awful decisions when drunk that they later blame on the alcohol. They also cheat on boyfriends and spouses, and one character gets pregnant and considers an abortion. There is some profanity, including one F-word and a few S-words; plus many coarse jokes. Sexual scenes are plentiful, though mostly discreet, though one scene includes a topless woman who walks around in underwear.
- Sexual Content
- Frequent sexual references and situations. Adultery, threesomes, offscreen abortions, and onscreen couplings between non-committed adults all make appearances. Nudity is surprisingly light, but there is one scene where a woman removes her top and struts around in panties while the audience sees her breasts. Women are ogled nearly nonstop by both Alfie and the camera.
- There are a few scenes where an unstable girlfriend of Alfie's drunkenly breaks glasses.
- Some cursing: "That's bulls--t!" There are also lots of coarse jokes, such as when Alfie has problems getting an erection with a woman who sneers at him, "Peewee."
- Social Behavior
- There are many directly stated messages about taking sex lightly and treating women deceptively, but these are subverted by the consequences characters suffer later.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Alfie and other characters smoke cigarettes and sometimes marijuana; many scenes show characters drinking and acting foolishly or making bad decisions and blaming it on the alcohol. Characters have illicit sex under the influence of alcohol.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it