A little love brings big results in this family film about the remarkable true story of Andre, a seal who each spring swam hundreds of miles to visit the human family that rescued him when he was an orphaned pup. Keith Carradine stars as a Maine harbor master who witnesses the animal's impact on his hometown, his family and especially on his shy 9-year-old daughter (Tina Majorino), whose friendship with Andre helps bring her out of her shell.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- George Miller
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that kids will enjoy this movie, with its adorable, raspberry-blowing, television-loving seal (portrayed by a sea lion), but there's more violence than you would expect for an animal film. Parents will enjoy the soundtrack, filled with '60s oldies.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- Fistfight. A young boy seems to kill Andre with a shotgun, and there's lots of threatened violence against the seal by the boy's father. Toni in peril, Andre in peril. Toni's dad nearly loses his job.
- Very mild.
- Social Behavior
- Tolerance of people who are different.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Teenagers caught smoking, Billy gets drunk.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it