Another Happy Day
Upper-crust family dysfunction takes center stage in this drama, which stars Ellen Barkin as a divorcée attending the highbrow wedding of the son she barely knows and trying to hold her own against a family that couches judgment in every smile.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Sam Levinson
RTeen drug/alcohol abuse, pervasive language including sexual references, and brief graphic nudity
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer.
Another Happy DayClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this indie drama serves is brimming with family dysfunction, centered around a wedding. The movie's heavy material -- drug abuse, physical abuse, estrangement, self-harm, and death -- could make it overwhelming for some adult viewers, let alone tweens and young teens. Expect plenty of swearing ("f--k," "s--t," etc.), brief nudity and some crass sex talk, lingering scenes of a teen getting high, and heartbreaking meanness among family members who appear to want to care for each other, even if they're not very good at showing it.
- Sexual Content
- Brief nudity. Older teens and young adults also have crass conversations about sex.
- Lots of fighting (both loud and hushed) and name-calling among family members. A son pushes his mother during a quarrel. References to how a man once beat his ex-wife. A man crashes a lawn mower into a tree. Discussions about how one character cuts herself. A teen says some very nasty things about his much younger sibling.
- Relatively frequent use of "f--k," "s--t," "b-tch," "a--hole," "damn," and more.
- Social Behavior
- This family's landscape is pretty bleak. But if there's any positive message here, it's that even in the most dysfunctional of families, there may still be slivers of communality and love. Also, it's important to honor your own truth.
- Some car logos visible.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- A teenager is shown tripping on his grandfather's Fentanyl a number of times. He also talks about getting high on cough syrup, and he and other teens and young adults smoke dope. Social drinking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it