Around the World in 80 Days
Eccentric inventor Phileas Fogg bets the Minister of Science that he can circle the world in 80 days. He's joined on his epic adventure by his valet (who's actually a thief in disguise) and a beautiful artist they meet during a stop in Paris.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jackie Chan, Steve Coogan, Cécile De France, Robert Fyfe, Jim Broadbent, Ian McNeice, David Ryall, Roger Hammond, Adam Godley, Karen Mok, Ewen Bremner, Perry Andelin Blake, Guillaume Siron, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maggie Q, Sammo Hung Kam-Bo, Daniel Wu, Kathy Bates, John Cleese, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Rob Schneider
- Frank Coraci
- DVD and streaming
- 2005 Razzie® Awards
- Worst Supporting Actor nominee: Arnold Schwarzenegger
French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Around the World in 80 DaysClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while they may cringe at this adaptation of the classic novel, kids who aren't familiar with the classic story may enjoy the adventures and the always-likeable Jackie Chan. If nothing else, you can use the movie as a way to get your kids to check out the book (maybe read it as a family read-aloud). There is a lot of slapstick-, cartoon-, and action-style violence, including many crotch injuries, but no one is seriously hurt. Characters use mild bad language ("bloody hell"). There is some crude and vulgar humor, including bathroom jokes, drunkenness played for comedy, a weird cross-dressing joke, and a comic situation involving a man with many wives. A strength of the movie is the portrayal of women and minorities who fight stereotypes and prejudice; however, some people may find some of the portrayals in the movie itself offensively stereotypical.
- Sexual Content
- Some kissing, reference to polygamy.
- Comic peril and violence, no one seriously hurt, many crotch injuries.
- A few mild words.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking, comic drunkenness, smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it