A band of unpublished writers who gather to gripe about their misfortunes must cope with the sudden success of Hannah, who's just joined their group. Struggling to accept her newfound fame, the other authors are alternately inspired and infuriated.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Ellie Kanner
- This movie is
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Authors Anonymous is a mockumentary-style comedy about a writers' group of misfits who are trying to get their books published. Starring The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco, it's not overly risque, but there are allusions to sex, erotic romance novels, some standard strong language ("s--t," "bitch"), and aggressive behavior by a couple of angry, jealous characters. There are also plenty of references to famous authors and their work, but overall this is a straight-up parody of writers' desperation to get published.
- Sexual Content
- A couple of kisses and implied sex scenes. One is when a woman, wearing only a robe, comes out of a room ready to meet her lover. In another, a bare-chested man calls his girlfriend "babe," and she appears wearing nothing but a man's button-down shirt. Mentions of/references to erotic romance novels.
- A couple of outbursts from upset people who throw things or otherwise get mad.
- Occasional strong language and insults include "s--t," "pu--ies," "a--hole," "goddamn," "Jesus H. Christ," "jackass," "washed-up," "idiot," etc.
- Social Behavior
- It's hard to see any clearly positive messages here, since, for the majority of the movie, the only successful novelist is a young woman who prizes herself on literary ignorance.
- Featured brands include Audi, Apple, Coke, Sprite, Heineken, and Lafont eyeglasses.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Adults frequently drink (beers, champagne, wine) socially at dinner, restaurants, and parties.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it