Written by Tennessee Williams, this black comedy tells the story of cotton gin owner Archie (Karl Malden) and his sexy teenage wife (Carroll Baker), who won't consummate the marriage until she turns 20. When Archie battles a rival (Eli Wallach), he could lose his business -- and his bride. Baker earned an Oscar nod, and director Elia Kazan won a Golden Globe for his steamy and, at the time of its release, controversial film.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Elia Kazan
- This movie is
- 1957 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Director (Motion Picture)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nominee
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
RRestricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; trailer.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it