Baldwin Hills: Season 1
Experience life in Baldwin Hills: Packed with athletes and movie stars, the posh L.A. neighborhood is the setting for this docudrama series that follows 11 upper-crust African-American teens as they cope with adolescent life. College visits, spring break, the prom, beach parties, shopping expeditions and the inevitable parental clashes are all part of the adventure for these not-so-typical young people.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; Ashley's home tour featurette; Hanging with Sal featurette; casting tapes, cast interviews.
Baldwin Hills: Season 1Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this BET reality show is reminiscent of Laguna Beach and The Hills because it follows a group of mostly privileged teens living in a wealthy suburb of Los Angeles. That means that cast members are shown attending exclusive parties, freely spending their parents' money, and generally embracing a materialistic lifestyle. On the flipside, this show tends to be tamer than its reality cousins, and it makes an effort to examine the realities of class and race. The all-black cast includes teens from a variety of backgrounds, including a boy who "grew up rough" and a girl who lives "in the hood."
- Sexual Content
- Blatant sexuality is scarce, but teens are shown dancing suggestively at clubs and parties.
- Not applicable
- Words like "damn," "hell," "ass," "pissed," and "screwed" are used, but other profanity is bleeped.
- Social Behavior
- The show as a whole challenges commonly held stereotypes about African Americans, expanding the definition of what it means to be "black." That said, materialism and privilege are major themes.
- Materialism and consumerism are recurring themes, and brand names are mentioned frequently, including BMW and Versace. Lots of sports-themed clothes with player names (Michael Jordan) and other logos as well.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it