Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses
In this direct-to-video animated tale, Barbie plays the role of Princess Genevieve, who finds herself -- and her 11 sisters -- forbidden to sing or dance when mean-spirited Aunt Rowena moves into the family castle. While looking for a way to escape, the 12 siblings happen upon an entrance to a magical palace where dreams come true. But the girls must return to rescue their father when they discover that he may lose his kingdom -- and his life.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Greg Richardson
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Barbie in the 12 Dancing PrincessesClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this fairytale-based fantasy combines elements that will appeal to little girls -- it's all right there in the title -- and themes that might scare them, too: The princesses' father is being slowly poisoned by a cruel relative who also bullies the girls. Parents should also be aware of the large number of product tie-ins they'll find mentioned in the insert, featured online, and in the toy stores.
- Sexual Content
- Sparks of innocent romance between two characters who eventually wed.
- A two-faced character uses poison to try to slowly murder a king and take over his throne. She also bullies and mistreats the king's daughters. In one scene, two armored knight statues come to life and attack characters with a sword and a spiked ball and chain. The sword comes dangerously close to cutting a protagonist.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Includes lessons in looking out for your siblings and sticking together. "Big or small, there's a difference only you can make." Although most of the 12 sisters aren't well-developed characters, as a group they demonstrate the value of working together as a team.
- While there is no product placement during the film itself, Mattel is selling a plethora of merchandise to tie in with the film: plush toys, dolls, a vanity playset, picture books, coloring books, etc. -- all featured in the DVD insert and in a special section of the Barbie.com site.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it