This gripping documentary from directors Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato follows the deeply emotional journey of Chastity Bono, daughter of entertainers Sonny and Cher, as she embarks on a program of gender reassignment to become a man.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Chaz Bono
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this documentary closely follows Chaz Bono as he undergoes sex-change surgery to transition from a woman to a man. There are detailed descriptions of the medical procedures, as well as many conversations about the emotional implications of the process. There's no drinking or drugs, but people talk about their pasts as drug and alcohol addicts. There is some nonsexual nudity and a few discussions about how a couple's sex life has been affected by hormone supplements.
- Sexual Content
- Some brief nudity -- nothing sexual -- during medical procedures, including a Chaz's naked back and glimpses of the side of breasts. Chaz and his partner Jennifer talk about their sex life and the ways his sex drive has changed due to taking testosterone.
- Some close-ups of medical procedures, including injections.
- Many references to "boobs," which Chaz has surgically removed. Brief swearing, including "ass," "damn," and "f--k."
- Social Behavior
- The film's message is about being true to yourself, even if it's hard, no matter what other people may think.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- References to abusing prescription drugs, and concerns that an addict may relapse. Another person talks about her past as an alcoholic and her tendency to drink under stress.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it