A young couple who drowned return to their house as poltergeists but must enlist the help of a goofy ghost to put a scare in the rude new owners. Unfortunately, he's got a diabolical agenda of his own.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Tim Burton
- DVD and Blu-ray
- Top 100 Laughs
- 1989 Academy Award®
- Best Makeup
PGParental guidance suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; production notes; music-only track; theatrical trailer.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
Dutch, English, Spanish (Neutral), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Chinese SimplifiedClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Italian: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; Beetlejuice cartoon episodes; music-only track; theatrical trailer.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that there are some serious themes in this outrageous film: a young married couple comes to grips with the fact that they're dead, and a teenager contemplates suicide. Some of the imagery is pretty creepy, and there's some strong language to be aware of (both "s--t" and "f--k" are used). But there's nothing here that tweens and up can't laugh at.
- Sexual Content
- A miniature Beetlejuice finds a whorehouse in a model-sized city; some women invite him inside.
- A woman blows cigarette smoke out of her slit throat. An afterlife waiting room abounds with people in various states of deadness (but it's more funny than scary). Main characters are chased by giant striped worms in a desert. A teen shrivels up like a mummy in a matter of seconds. The teen also contemplates suicide.
- A couple of uses of "s--t" and two "f--k"s (one is hard to hear).
- Social Behavior
- The characters eventually learn to live together peacefully but this is more ancedotal than a deliberate positive message.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it