Ethan Hawke reprises his role as Jesse, a traveling American who fell for a sweet French girl named Celine (Julie Delpy) while he was backpacking through Europe, in this sequel to the 1995 hit Before Sunrise that's set nine years after they met. Now a successful author, Jessie's on a book tour in Paris when Celine shows up at a reading, just hours before his plane leaves. It's their last chance at closure -- and maybe their second shot at love.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Richard Linklater
- This movie is
- 2005 Academy Award®
- Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; behind-the-scenes featurette; trailer.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Before Sunset is targeted at adults, but older teens might enjoy the intellectual discussions between the couple, who thoughtfully discuss big ideas, from God to finding meaning in life. They discuss sex, too, sometimes explicitly, and there's an implication of adultery. Characters drink and smoke throughout in a casual manner.
- Sexual Content
- Explicit sexual references, though nothing happens. Lots of sexual tension and the implication that sex will occur.
- Not applicable
- Some strong language.
- Social Behavior
- Themes include love, commitment, longing, fulfillment, spirituality, the meaning of life -- all are intellectualized in a thoughtful way.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking and smoking by adults.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it