Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
In this quirky indie film from director Scott Glosserman, a self-promoting serial killer who dreams of being the most infamous slasher of all time hires a documentary film crew to follow him as he launches a reign of terror on a small town. While preparing tirelessly for his murderous debut, Leslie Vernon (Nathan Baesel) shares his bloody ambitions exclusively with director Taylor Gentry (Angela Goethals) and her crew. Robert Englund co-stars.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Scott Glosserman
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
RHorror violence, language, some sexual content and brief drug use
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; deleted scenes; audio commentary.
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie VernonClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that older teens may be interested in this slasher film spoof, which isn't as goofy and action-packed as the Scream franchise but plays up the same idea. It includes the usual slasher-style violence -- stalking, stabbing, shooting, hooking with large farm implements -- as well as brief nudity and sexual activity (since sexually active teens are standard victims in such movies). There are lots of conversations about methods of killing people and the uses of "fear" in culture, some basic spooky scenes (dark shadows, creaky doors), and some jump scenes. Many bloody effects (dismemberments, bodies hidden in closets) and frequent profanity (mostly "f--k").
- Sexual Content
- Conversations about sexual behavior (trying to figure out if victims are virgins); a brief sex scene at the end shows a naked girl from the back and as she turns around (breasts visible and in motion); brief mention of the serial killer being "pro-life and a chauvinist."
- Lots of bloody, visceral violence in the last third of the film (before that, plenty of discussions of and preparations for said violence). Weapons include knives, guns, and farm tools. Retired serial killer appears briefly in a sensory deprivation tank (like a coffin) buried underground. Serial killer wears scary makeup and mask and well as torn, bloody clothing, then appears repeatedly in shadows, posed to look frightening. Hacking and stabbing at victims (most of the murders are fast but very close-up). Girls scream, run, and fall.
- Favorite swear word here is "f--k" other profanity includes "s--t," "bitch," "ass," "hell," and "goddammit." Phrases include a derogatory charge: "You guys stand here holding your balls."
- Social Behavior
- College TV crew follows a serial-killer-to-be in order to get a story; serial killers discuss their methods and goals; teen victims act stupidly; the Survivor Girl does the right thing.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Teens drink and smoke marijuana.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it