Beyond the Sea
Kevin Spacey directs and stars in this biopic of Bobby Darin, a hipster in the Frank Sinatra tradition and singer of pop hits such as "Splish Splash." Darin moved on to performing jazz standards that culminated in his signature hit, "Mack the Knife."
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Kevin Spacey
- 2005 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; director's commentary.
Beyond the SeaClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Bobby Darin suffered from painful rheumatic fever as a child, was physically unwell, and died from his illness at the age of 37. This movie portrays his suffering as well as his death, which younger audiences might find scary. Mature themes, complicated characters, and implicit alcohol abuse make this movie inappropriate for sensitive viewers. Also, two characters die. Expect frequent swearing and insults, strong angry language, and references to sleeping around. A committed couple shares a scene of implicit sexuality. There is a raging marital dispute, ongoing arguments between friends and family, as well as questionable priorities for characters.
- Sexual Content
- An intimate scene between committed couple, references to sleeping around, teenage pregnancy.
- Character attacks a car with golf clubs, threatened violence.
- Joking insults and name calling, strong language used by angry characters and an angry marital dispute.
- Social Behavior
- Selfish behavior and references to marital strife.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Social drinking, reference to drinking problem, references to pills.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it