Inner-city high school teacher Richard Dadier (Glenn Ford) struggles to maintain his idealism in this gritty drama set in the 1950s. The students drink, smoke, steal and cause mayhem, and two of Dadier's delinquents (Sidney Poitier and Vic Morrow) duke it out to be crowned leader of their classroom turf. This film was the first major motion picture with a rock 'n' roll soundtrack, which includes "Rock Around the Clock." Anne Francis costars.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Richard Brooks
- 1956 Academy Award®
- Best Cinematography Black and White nominee
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Art Direction Black and White nominee
- Best Writing nominee
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it