When a plague of blindness overtakes an entire city, all sense of order breaks loose in the hospital where the victims are being quarantined. Now, it's up to a woman who's keeping her sight a secret to lead a group safely to the streets.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Fernando Meirelles
- DVD and Blu-ray
RViolence including sexual assaults, language and sexuality/nudity
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; deleted scenes; director's commentary.
English, Japanese, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; deleted scenes.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this bleak drama -- which depicts the total breakdown of society (including filth, squalor, graphic brutality, and sexual coercion) in the wake of a plague that leaves its victims blind -- isn't for kids. Several scenes depict the aftermath of the social collapse, including the absence of law and order, medical treatment, food and shelter, and more. There are also several sex scenes -- some of which are consensual, and some of which aren't -- and a good deal of strong language. Violence includes beatings, shootings, and much more.
- Sexual Content
- Extensive sexual and nonsexual nudity (including both male and female full frontal, from a distance); a prostitute visits a client in a hotel room; consensual sexual activity on screen; sex is bartered for food in the aftermath of a devastating plague.
- Beatings, shootings, stabbings, scuffling, fistfights, panicked pushing and shoving; nonconsensual sex with a high level of roughness. Several characters are shot on screen; a character commits suicide. Several characters die, trapped in a burning building that's been deliberately set on fire. Plane and car crashes shown in news footage. Government troops fire on unarmed, blind civilians.
- Frequent strong language, including "damn," "hell," "f--k," "s--t," "bitch," "bulls--t," "whore," "motherf---er," and the "N" word.
- Social Behavior
- Extensive depiction of social breakdown in the wake of a disease that strikes its victims blind -- including riots, quarantine, and armed suppression of blind civilians. As the plague effects the entire populace, civilization descends into chaos, squalor, and filth. A group of quarantined victims set up a tyranny under rule of force, telling other inmates that they'll only receive food in exchange for their remaining valuables, and, later, sex. A man who was blind before the sickness assists this tyranny.
- Not applicable.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters drink wine and hard liquor.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it