Boys Don't Cry
Based on actual events, director Kimberly Peirce's powerful, often harrowing drama stars Hilary Swank as Brandon Teena, a transgender person searching for love and acceptance in a small Midwestern town.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Kimberly Peirce
- 2000 Independent Spirit Awards®
- Best Female Lead: Hilary Swank
- Best Supporting Female
- 2001 BAFTA®
- Best Actress nominee: Hilary Swank
- 2000 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture nominee
- 2000 Academy Award®
- Best Actress: Hilary Swank
- Best Supporting Actress nominee
RViolence including an intense brutal rape scene, sexuality, language and drug use
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
A 1.85:1 widescreen anamorphic picture, with sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0. There are some nice extras, most notably a full commentary by co-writer and director Kimberly Peirce, who discusses with remarkable insight and good humor the theoretical and practical aspects of making this film. Also included are a featurette, three TV spots, a teaser and a theatrical trailer.
Boys Don't CryClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film contains a lot of potentially upsetting material, and should be reserved for mature teenagers. There is a brutal sexual assault, a graphic murder, and a depiction of an emotionally abusive family. There are several non-violent sex scenes as well, involving the main character, a female-to-male transsexual. And there is plenty of substance abuse (pot and alcohol), petty crime (theft, car chases, forgery, etc.) and strong language, as well as an intense discussion of self-cutting. While the film is sympathetic to Brandon, some characters express strong homophobia sentiments which may be especially disturbing to gay, lesbian or transgendered teens.
- Sexual Content
- Brutal sexual assault, sex scenes.
- A graphic murder.
- Very strong language.
- Social Behavior
- While the film is sympathetic to Brandon, some characters express strong homophobic sentiments.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Plenty of substance abuse (pot and alcohol).
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it