Bratz: The Video: Starrin' & Stylin'
Jade, Chloe, Yasmin and Sasha go about their day cruising the mall and hanging out at the beach. Along the way, the cute quartet prove to themselves that they are, indisputably, the hippest, sassiest Bratz around. They are rude and got the 'tude!
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Nico Rijgersberg
NRGeneral Audience. Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; music video; games; deleted scenes; trailer.
Bratz: The Video: Starrin' & Stylin'Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while Bratz: Video: Starrin' & Stylin' is directly marketed to young girls and tweens, the sexualized teen characters send a negative message to young viewers about how they should act and what is supposed to be important to them. Applying make-up, dressing-up, shopping, and posing for pictures are the Bratz girls' constant activities in this movie. The Bratz girls are drawn with doe-eyes, breasts, thin but curvy bodies, and large heads and they flirt when in the presence of boys. There's an attempt to be ethnically diverse, but the visual differences in this first of the Bratz DVDs are very subtle.
- Sexual Content
- Other than some flirting and ogling, there's no overt sexual activity. However, the Bratz teens themselves are sexualized: they wearing skimpy clothing (including tiny bikinis and lots of bare midriffs), walk with exaggerated sexuality, and giggle and pout in the presence of boys.
- To avoid a skunk in the middle of the road, the Bratz car swerves, careens down a hillside and lands in the woods. No one is hurt.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Promotes "expressing yourself" through artistic pursuits (in this case, however, the artistic pursuits involve clothing design and decorating for a prom). Underlying message: for this crew of mini-fashionistas makeup, clothes, boys, and having fun are life's top priorities. Jade sums it up when she says that "doubting my own sense of fashion is like losing one of the five senses: seeing, hearing, etc." And, "a salon is the one place we always have fun."
- Cross-promotion with the entire Bratz franchise: dolls, toys, accessories, clothes, and even some home furnishings.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it