Enraged at the slaughter of Murron (Catherine McCormack) -- his new bride and childhood love -- legendary Scottish warrior William Wallace (Mel Gibson, who also directed the film) slays a platoon of the local English lord's soldiers. This leads the village to revolt and, eventually, the entire country to rise up against English rule. With vivid battle scenes and a heaping portion of legend, Gibson's epic won five Oscars, including Best Picture.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Mel Gibson
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1996 BAFTA®
- Best Direction nominee: Mel Gibson
- 1996 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Director (Motion Picture)
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- Top 100 Thrills
- 1996 Academy Award®
- Best Makeup
- Best Picture
- Best Director: Mel Gibson
- Best Sound Effects Editing
- Best Cinematography
- Best Costume Design nominee
- Best Film Editing nominee
- Best Sound nominee
- Best Music Score nominee
- Best Writing Original Screenplay nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; region 1 encoded; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary.
English, English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral), PortugueseClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HD, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; Braveheart Timelines.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie has high levels of blood and gore (animal and human), vulgarity, and sexual elements. This is NOT a movie for kids. There is much ado about rape, plus sex scenes between Wallace and his doomed wife and with a consenting princess. There's some nudity. Expect torture, hackings, stabbings, throat-slitting, and arrows and spears dealing horrible death and injuries. William Wallace is brave, noble, but vengeful and absolutely uncompromising.
- Sexual Content
- Much ado about rape, plus sex scenes between Wallace and his doomed wife and with a consenting princess. Some nudity.
- Torture, hackings, stabbings, throat-slitting, arrows and spears deal horrible death and injuries, though quick editing rarely lingers on the gore.
- Not much, and mostly in archaic language.
- Social Behavior
- William Wallace is brave, noble, but vengeful and absolutely uncompromising (although with enemies like these, who could blame him?). His strongest allies, like a displaced English-hating Irishman, are equally fanatical; others who turn out to be treacherous and unreliable live to tell the tale (unless William gets to them first).
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Social drinking, or liquor used as a battlefield anesthetic.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it