When her mother weds a retired general, cool and carefree teen Kelly gets new marching orders and is shipped off to a military academy in upstate New York. But Kelly's freewheeling ways quickly put her at odds with her callous squadron leader.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Larry Shaw
- DVD and streaming
TV-GGeneral Audience. Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; cast and crew interview; featurette; director's commentary.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Cadet Kelly is a wholesome TV movie originally made for The Disney Channel. It's heavy on messages, cute teens, easy resolutions, and stars girl favorite Hilary Duff as a budding diva. The film's core subjects -- making necessary life adjustments, parenting, divorce, and teen rivalry -- are all dealt with gently and with humor. While it encourages the heroine to find her own path and develop her own strengths, it also advocates teamwork and compromise. A few pratfalls (mostly in a comic depiction of military training), a suspenseful moment in which the heroine must risk her safety for another, and some initial mean behavior by a team leader (Cadet Kelly is continually called "maggot") provide the action and physical conflict. Generally, middle grade girls through young teens will probably enjoy this predictable, safe family fare.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- One suspenseful scene in which a principal character is stranded on a cliff. Several comic falls (in mud, off of a wall, a fish bowl overturns momentarily threatening the fish). A platoon leader pulls one of her "soldiers" by the ear.
- Heroine is constantly called a "maggot" by her team leader.
- Social Behavior
- Lots of positive values work in this film. It deals with adjusting to new situations in a productive and comforting way, with a teen learning to accommodate both parents in a friendly divorce, making wise choices, and respecting others who initially may appear to be very different from ourselves. Teamwork is heavily promoted, as is creativity, and compromise.
- A prominent display of Isis Cosmeceuticals
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it