Mousy teen Carrie White may be ostracized, but she has the ability to move objects with her mind. When the high school "in crowd" torments her with a sick joke at the prom, she lashes out with devastating and deadly power.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Brian De Palma
- DVD and Blu-ray
French, EnglishClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital Mono, English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that although it's far less graphic than other horror movies, this film adaptation of the classic Stephen King novel of the same name does include some fairly intense, emotional scenes of violence, death, and destruction. Carrie's mother is abusive to her and even threatens her life. In the oft-mentioned bloody prom scene Carrie uses her telekinetic powers to massacre everyone out of vengeance for a vicious prank and bullying behavior. A long locker room scene shows girls undressed and a Carrie getting her period, then teased.
- Sexual Content
- Teens make out in a car; at one point the girl is shown bending over the boy's lap, and it's understood they're engaging in oral sex. Young women are shown nude and in various stages of undress in a prolonged locker-room scene, which is filmed in slow motion. In the scene, a girl gets her period for the first time; blood is shown running down her leg, and bullies taunt her by throwing tampons and sanitary napkins at her. A woman who is a religious zealot describes sex as dirty and refers to breasts as "dirty pillows."
- A woman hits her daughter and locks her in a closet. They eventually both try to kill each other, the daughter out of self defense. Bullies hit and push a girl. A teen boy slaps his girlfriend around and a teacher slaps students. A teen girl uses her telekinetic powers to destroy a high school gym, killing everyone in sight. Death scenes include electrocution, a fiery car wreck, and being "crucified" and impaled by knives and other sharp kitchen utensils.
- Some profanity, including "f--k," "s--t," "ass."
- Social Behavior
- Some teens are portrayed as cruel and calculating bullies. A religious zealot uses her fanatic beliefs to abuse and control her daughter. Some characters, including a gym teacher and a fellow student, try to help a timid young girl who is being bullied.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Teens are shown drinking beer; a woman drinks a cocktail while watching TV.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it