Chaplin: The Movie
Through flashbacks and other nonlinear devices, director Richard Attenborough recounts comic icon Charlie Chaplin's (Robert Downey Jr.) poignant journey through triumph, failure, infamy and government persecution. The large cast of characters includes George Hayden (Anthony Hopkins), Douglas Fairbanks (Kevin Kline) and Chaplin's mentally unbalanced mother (Geraldine Chaplin). Downey's performance earned both Oscar and Golden Globe nominations.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Richard Attenborough
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Chaplin: The MovieClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie based on Chaplin's autobiography focuses on the great comic's life events, rather than his talent. Some aspects of his life are sad and disturbing, such as his mother's devolution into madness. Expect non-sexual female nudity and social drinking, plus references to women as "bitches," reflecting the inequality of the time.
- Sexual Content
- Some nudity: women getting into costume before going on stage are in various states of undress, plus a brief full-body female nude shot before bed.
- Not applicable
- "Bitch" and "ass" used with moderate frequency.
- Social Behavior
- Charlie's relationship with women is not always healthy. He seeks underage or younger women to consort with, though he usually ends up marrying them.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some drinking of champagne and scotch in ballroom situations.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it