Director Steven Soderbergh steers an array of stars through this big-screen disaster thriller about a global team of doctors tasked with tamping down a deadly outbreak of infectious disease before it annihilates mankind.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Steven Soderbergh
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
English SDH, Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
English SDH, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this grim thriller about the spread of a deadly, fast-acting global virus helmed by Oscar-winner director Steven Soderbergh and populated by an all-star cast (including Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow, among many others), may be too intense and/or overwhelming for younger kids given its stark, uncompromising depictions of death and the somber, sometimes scary exploration of what it's like to live in a constant state of fear. Expect disturbing imagery (including a gory autopsy) and mature themes, such as death (in one case, of a child) and infidelity. There's also some swearing (including "s--t") and social drinking.
- Sexual Content
- A near-kiss between two teens. Discussions of one woman's philandering.
- Citizens loot and hurt others out of fear and panic; patients die frothing at the mouth. A gory autopsy is shown, with a scalp being pulled back.
- Infrequent use of words like "s--t," "ass," "hell," and "oh my God." Also one "f--k."
- Social Behavior
- A deadly contagion is a challenging, deadly opponent, but humanity ultimately triumphs through perseverance and compassion. It may not be exactly how hard science works, but it's an admirable takeaway. (Also, wash your hands!)
- Many label mentions/appearances: Taco Bell, StarKist, Purell, Sbarro, Rayovac, Audi, Dasani.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some social drinking at a bar and casino.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it