A fictionalized account of the unlikely story of Jamaica's first bobsled team, Cool Runnings follows their journey to the 1988 Olympics. When Derice Bannock's (Leon) chances of qualifying for Jamaica's track team are dashed, he looks for another sport. Derice persuades U.S. bobsledding gold medalist Irv Blitzer (John Candy), who now lives in Jamaica, to coach him and his friends as they attempt to become a world-class bobsled team.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Jon Turteltaub
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that although this underdog sports movie is based on the Jamaican bobsled team's appearance in the 1988 Olympic Games, the characters, most of the situations, and all of the conflict are heavily fictionalized. The resulting feel-good fairytale offers positive messages about sportsmanship, going after your dreams, and believing in yourself ... as well as some cartoonish potrayals of both the Jamaican people and their culture and some of their bobsleddding rivals (particularly the East Germans). A number of bobsled accidents are depicted, and there's one brief barroom brawl -- but no injuries or blood. Expect occasional mild swearing and lots of visible products/logos.
- Sexual Content
- A short scene takes place at a kissing booth.
- A pushcart crashes into a shack. There are a number of bobsled tumbles and crashes -- some are live action, others are taken from actual newsreel footage. One punch in a bar leads to a very brief, cartoon-style brawl with bottles broken over heads/backs and additional punches thrown.
- Infrequent use of words like "hell," "a--hole," "pee," "crap," "badass," "damn," "hooker," and "Jesus Christ" (as an exclamation).
- Social Behavior
- The movie's main message is that even the most outlandish dreams can come true -- the key is to know what you want and work hard for it. Other messages include being true to yourself, learning from your mistakes, and making up for bad behavior.
- Products/logos featured include Coca-Cola, American Airlines, ADIDAS sportswear and shoes, Carrera goggles, Red Stripe beer, Easton gloves, Relax Inn, and Ranchman's restaurant.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Men are seen in a bar with mugs of beer in front of them.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it