Ahh, the 1600s, when the men were daring...and so were the women. Geena Davis and Matthew Modine deliver nonstop action and adventure in this swashbuckling saga of ruthless pirates, buried treasure and bloodthirsty betrayal. A pirate's beautiful daughter (Davis) inherits command of her father's ship. She and her crew set sail to avenge his death and lay claim to the treasure of Cutthroat Island.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Renny Harlin
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
PG-13Some strong pirate action/violence and brief sensuality
Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Color; cast/crew bios; interactive menus; scene access; theatrical trailer.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.39:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 7.1 HDOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that the heroine here behaves every bit the way a roguish male action-hero would (think of James Bond especially). That means she's not only strong and assertive, resourceful and unyielding in hand-to-hand combat against villains, but also sexually active, non-monogamous, and able to drink any man under the table. She also gets bloodied quite a bit in fights (but recovers pretty quickly). At one point she disguises herself as a cleavage-baring prostitute.
- Sexual Content
- Heroine gets dressed after sex in opening scene. She spends parts of the film dressed in tight-fitting and/or wet bodices, at one point masquerading as a prostitute. Much spoken sexual innuendo, crotch- and breast-groping, and references to body parts.
- Lots of sword fights/stabbings, fiery explosions, gun, and cannon fire. The heroine gets shot in the hip, and bullet is extracted without anesthesia.
- Mostly "hells," and "whore" used to indicate a prostitute.
- Social Behavior
- While it's great to see a strong, assertive female in the sort of testosterone-fueled action-hero role, the idea gets lost amidst the pillaging, plundering, and thieving. The bad guys (in addition to a pirate who's a worse outlaw and thief) are generally law-enforcers. One of them enthusiastically joins the pirates. Despite the Jamaican scenery, white people make up most of the cast.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Much drinking, especially by the heroine, and even by her monkey, and she snaps out of it with no ill effect.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it