A party of Russian soldiers hires aged hunter Dersu Uzala (Maksim Munzuk) to guide them on a surveying expedition through Siberia in the early 20th century. Uzala leads the group through life-threatening conditions with reverence and concern for his surroundings. Based on true memoirs, Akira Kurosawa's Academy Award-winning production is a testament to the value of lasting friendship, loyalty and mutual respect.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Akira Kurosawa
- This movie is
- 1976 Academy Award®
- Best Foreign Language Film
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
NoLanguage and sound
Russian: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Color; no region code; Scene Access.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie plays on worst fears and grief over death, of both pets and children. Toddlers, animals, and adults get killed violently -- via murder, suicide, and a traffic accident. There is grotesque imagery in the contorted physiognomy of a victim of spinal meningitis; her illness makes her monstrous and vile, which some critics felt was over-the-line cruel. Kids may be tempted by the sequel, Pet Sematary 2; it's decidedly inferior and adds tacky nudity and tastelessness this one avoids.
- Sexual Content
- Just a reference to a cat spaying as "getting his nuts cut."
- Bloody gashes and lacerations, ghastly head/face wounds on victims and zombies. Characters suffer cannibalistic attacks, being hit by cars, burning to death.
- The s-word, "hell," and SOB.
- Social Behavior
- Most all the (living) characters here are decent people who think they're doing the right thing out of love. Nonetheless, their actions lead to slaughter and unleashed occult evil (the book was a lot better explaining their rationalizations for digging themselves in deeper and deeper). It's never directly explained why loved ones come back from the dead as vicious and murderous; the novel suggests that demons are possessing the corpses.
- Car brand names. Of course, there's a Stephen King book tie-in, and the Ramones had a minor hit with the theme song.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Smoking and beer-drinking among adults.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it