Do I Sound Gay?
Seeking to explore his self-doubt and curious about other men's discomfort with "sounding gay," journalist David Thorpe helms this candid documentary about his research into the matter, which includes interviews with a host of gay celebrities.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- David Thorpe
- DVD and streaming
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.78:1Subtitles
Do I Sound Gay?Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Do I Sound Gay? is a deeply personal exploration into filmmaker David Thorpe's life and his journey to become more accepting of who he is. The film is framed as an examination of speech patterns within the gay community, including Thorpe and his friends, and eventually expands to cover broader topics about what it means to be gay -- and to look at how the ways people speak and act can reveal their personalities, sometimes by choice and sometimes not. Scenes include discussion (sometimes quite racy) about sexual practices, and there are a few clips of heavily blurred gay porn films, as well as moderate swearing and drinking and references to anti-gay hate crimes. One extended sequence includes an in-depth discussion of gay subtexts in well-known Disney films.
- Sexual Content
- Discussion about people having sex, including bits from stand-up comedy routines that mention specific sexual practices. A few scenes include clips from porn films, with much of the screen blurred out.
- Some discussion about anti-gay hate crimes; a video clip shows a gay teen being beaten up in school.
- Occasional swearing includes "s--t," "f--k," and "d--k."
- Social Behavior
- It's important to love yourself, and an important part of loving yourself is understanding who you are and how you became that person.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some scenes show adults drinking socially at meals and parties; some smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it