This Oscar-winning treatise on absolute power and its human toll sees fledgling queen Elizabeth I sacrificing happiness for her own safety and placing her trust in her stealthy "spymaster," Sir Francis Walsingham.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Shekhar Kapur
- This movie is
- DVD and Blu-ray
- 1999 BAFTA®
- 1999 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Motion Picture (Drama) nominee
- 1999 Academy Award®
- Best Makeup
- Best Picture nominee
- Best Cinematography nominee
- Best Actress nominee: Cate Blanchett
- Best Art Direction nominee
- Best Costume Design nominee
- Best Music Score nominee
Spanish (Neutral), FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 SurroundOther features
Audio commentary, photo gallery, documentaries , cast and crew information , making-of featurette , trailer(s)
English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish (Neutral), Japanese, Korean, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Greek, Chinese Simplified, Chinese TraditionalClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 HD, French: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): DTS 5.1 Surround, Japanese: DTS 5.1 Surround, Italian: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; making-of featurette; additional featurette and more.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film has extremely gruesome scenes, and parts may be difficult to watch even for adults. Extremely graphic depictions of people being burned alive, being stabbed, beheaded, heads on sticks, and gruesome post-war images of people with missing limbs, bloody, and dying are featured in the film. The film also includes several scenes featuring nudity and sexual interludes.
- Sexual Content
- Several scenes of nudity and sexual interludes.
- Graphic depictions of violent acts and imagery.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- This is a complex story about actual historical figures. Everyone is portrayed with realistic and complex personalities including flaws such as duplicity, a desire for vengeance, and even murderous tendencies. There is no clear hero or heroine.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Alcoholic consumption occurs in historical context.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it