Ever After: A Cinderella Story
Orphaned as a child, Danielle is treated like a servant by her wicked stepmother and two stepsisters. When Danielle stumbles onto Prince Henry, who's fleeing an arranged marriage, the two inspire each other to resolve their respective troubles.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Andy Tennant
- This movie is
Spanish (Neutral), EnglishClosed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Ever After: A Cinderella StoryClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this version of the Cinderella story is darker than Disney's -- it doesn't shy away from the nastiness that pervades the relationship between the stepmother and Cinderella (here known as Danielle) -- but it's also far more inspiring and empowering. Though Danielle is in dire straits, she isn't in desperate need of rescuing and is actually the one who stands up for others' rights. Younger kids may be disturbed by some characters' excessive, non-cartoonish meanness, but much of that is mitigated by the great storytelling and sweet romance, which tweens and older will enjoy. Expect some fistfights and swordplay, a sad on-screen death, plus some language ("horses--t" and some muttered, hard-to-hear "f--k"s, which were edited out of the PG-rated version that was released on VHS but remain in the PG-13 version that was released theatrically and on DVD).
- Sexual Content
- Tender kisses between two young lovers. One man describes himself as "well-endowed."
- Some swordsmanship (not gory), with one woman slashing the face of another, and a band of criminals attacking another. Characters punch each other in the face. A woman's back is shown with whip marks. A stepmother bullies and belittles her daughters.
- "S--t" appears in the form of "horses--t." Also "hell," "damn," and "oh God" (used as an exclamation). There are some muttered "f--k"s in the PG-13-rated version, but they're very hard to hear.
- Social Behavior
- Although many characters have questionable motivs (and the corresponding behavior), those who are self serving gt their comeuppance in the end, and ultimately, love and kindness reign.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters drink out of cups, but it's not clear what's inside.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it