Police chief Marge Gunderson -- a serious sleuth who's sharper than her folksy accent suggests -- is hot on the trail of a Minneapolis car dealer conspiring with two kidnappers to snatch his wife so he can pocket part of the hefty ransom.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- 1997 Independent Spirit Awards®
- 1997 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Director (Motion Picture) nominee
- Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) nominee
- Top 100 Laughs
- Top 100 Movies nominee
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1, Pan-and-Scan 1.33:1Subtitles
Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer.
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, English: DTS 5.1 HD, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; trailer; audio commentary; photo gallery.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie, while brilliant, is absolutely not appropriate for kids. Characters are shot and killed graphically, and one person is fed into a wood chipper. Characters also engage in sex with prostitutes and the sex is shown on screen, though not graphically. Jerry, the main character around whom the whole plot unravels, is a despicable example of a human being. He's a desperate, bumbling father who lies to everyone about money, is engaged in various frauds to cover debts, hires hit men to kidnap his wife for the ransom money, and lies to his son.
- Sexual Content
- Two characters are seen having sex with hookers.
- Carl is shot in the face, a man is fed to a wood chipper, three others are shot at point-blank range.
- The f-word is said within six minutes of the opening, and even kids use it.
- Social Behavior
- Jerry lies to his family about money problems, commits fraud, and hires some crooks to kidnap his wife for ransom money.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Carl and Gaear talk about getting shots of liquor and are seen drinking at bars often. Gaear chain-smokes through the movie.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it