For Your Consideration
A director (Christopher Guest) who's never had a hit film pins his hopes on the independent drama Home for Purim, a movie about a Jewish family living in the 1940s South that's earning buzz for its standout performances. Guest's reliable troupe of improvers -- including Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Fred Willard, Harry Shearer, Michael McKean and Eugene Levy -- are even funnier with the addition of Ricky Gervais, who plays a Hollywood "suit."
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Christopher Guest
- 2007 Independent Spirit Awards®
- Best Female Lead nominee: Catherine O'Hara
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; audio commentary; photo gallery; trailer.
For Your ConsiderationClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this "mockumentary" is aimed more at adults than kids, but teens who've enjoyed director Christopher Guest's earlier films (including Best in Show) may very well want to see it. It's satirical treatment contains references to same-sex relationships, prostitutes, ethnic jokes, and superficial people who are only thinking of themselves -- but make it seem like they're thinking of everyone else. It's all about the superficial world of Hollywood, where the bottom line is more important than people. The movie's goal is to satirize that world, but some kids may miss the subtler digs and spoofs.
- Sexual Content
- References to same-sex relationships, prostitutes, women in tight outfits with plenty of cleavage.
- Not applicable
- "Ass," "damn," "f--k" (one time).
- Social Behavior
- Every superficial quirk of Hollywood is examined, from plastic surgery to air kisses to trendy wardrobes. The message (which is intended as satire): Money is more important than people.
- Crystal Geyser bottled water.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Some drinking and smoking.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it