George of the Jungle: The Complete Series
Watch out for that tree! Dim-witted George, his shapely wife, Ursula, gorilla friend and adviser Ape and pet elephant Shep save the day in this complete collection of the 1960s cartoon hit. Every episode of Bullwinkle creator Jay Ward's classic is here, along with the complete adventures of hapless race car driver Tom Slick and crime-fighting clucker Super Chicken. The compilation also includes unaired pilots with some surprise voice talent.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; never before seen pilot episodes of George of the Jungle and Super Chicken.
George of the Jungle: The Complete SeriesClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this flashy, rapid-scene-changing cartoon isn't the best fit for very young children, who may be disoriented by the swiftly moving backgrounds and won't be able to follow the story. The show also includes plenty of consequence-free cartoon violence (clubbing, fighting) and gross-out potty humor on a junior level -- nose picking, butt slapping, toe licking (of George's own toes; it's silly, not sexual) -- without much in the way of redeeming qualities or positive lessons.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable.
- Sure, jungle life is dog-eat-dog, but here it's taken to extremes -- bananas as weapons, vicious attack pandas, a main character whose default reaction to anything is to club it first and ask questions later. It's all cartoonish, but it's not particularly funny.
- The phrase "kick butt" is used at least once.
- Social Behavior
- It's not clear whether violence is really meant to be the answer here. George does plenty of clubbing and fighting in defense of smaller animals -- he never hurts anyone, but he certainly never faces any repercussions, either.
- George is a familiar brand thanks to past TV and movie iterations.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it