In 1965, Coach Don Haskins inherits a losing basketball team at Texas Western University and brings on seven black players, angering others at the school and resulting in threats of violent retaliation.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- James Gartner
- This movie is
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
PGRacial issues including violence and epithets, and momentary language
French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 Surround, Spanish (Neutral): DTS 5.1 Surround, French: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; making-of featurettes; cast and crew interviews.
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English SDH, French, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: PCM Surround, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; audio commentary with producer and screenwriters.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film includes harsh language and imagery emerging from U.S. racism during the 1960s. Characters argue about terms used (spoken and written, in letters and graffiti) include the n-word, "Negro," "colored," and "honky." The Confederate flag appears in multiple shots during the final game. Characters' arguments over race and their on-court competitions lead to shoving and fighting. Some of the game footage shows minor rough play. Players sneak off to drink at a bar and appear at practice the next day hung over. Some white fans at games on the road throw trash at the integrated team as they enter and leave the court. One black player is beaten by a few white thugs, leaving him bloodied and bruised.
- Sexual Content
- Bobby Joe sneaks off to see his grlfriend; some background girls wear skimpy clothing.
- Roughhousing among players; beating in a diner bathroom leaves one player badly bloodied.
- Minor cursing, but salient use of n-word, to showcase the racism players were up against.
- Social Behavior
- Players are dedicated; those racists who decry their interracial team are plainly demonized.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking in a bar, where characters smoke in the background, some comments made ("What are you smoking?").
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it