Go for It!
Carmen lives to dance, but her hard-working parents press her to focus on her studies instead. When a teacher sees Carmen's impressive hip-hop moves, he urges her to apply to an exclusive school, which forces her to deal with her self-doubt.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Carmen Marron
PG-13Sexual content, language, brief violence and drug material
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; bloopers; deleted scenes; director's commentary.
Go for It!Close
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this drama about a troubled Latina who turns to dance as a way of finding direction in her life has positive messages about self-confidence and education, but they're sometimes overshadowed by family dysfunction and poor choices. Expect some strong language (including "s--t," "f--k," and Spanish curses), sexual imagery (though no nudity), arguments, and physical violence (including murder), drinking, and some drug use. The immigrant experience and racism are also briefly discussed.
- Sexual Content
- Some strong sexual innuendo, and characters take off their clothes, but no nudity is visible. Frequent lewd references to body parts and sexual acts.
- There are many explosive family arguments, which often lead to pushing, shoving, and punching. One cast member is in an abusive relationship. Someone is shown being strangled.
- Fairy frequent use of words like "piss" and "s--t," plus one "f--k" and Spanish curse words.
- Social Behavior
- Although the movie has positive messages about being brave enough to reach for a goal, friendship, and family, they're sometimes overshadowed by family dysfunction and poor choices. Cultural differences, racism, and the immigrant experience are also themes of the movie.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking (beer) is visible at clubs. References to underage drinking. One scene features characters using drugs (acid).
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it