In 15th century Denmark, young Prince Hamlet (Laurence Olivier) schemes to avenge his father's death when his uncle, Claudius, murders the prince's father, promptly weds the queen and ascends to his dead brother's throne. But Hamlet -- uncertain how to best carry out his mission -- allows his anguish and indecision to lead to more carnage. Olivier earned the Best Actor Oscar for his definitive performance as the melancholy Dane.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Laurence Olivier
- This movie is
- 1949 BAFTA®
- Best Film
- Best British Film nominee
- 1949 Golden Globe Awards
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama)
- Best Foreign Language Film
- 1949 Academy Award®
- Best Picture
- Best Actor: Laurence Olivier
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital MonoOther features
black and white; interactive menus; scene access
Common Sense Note
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it