Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars
In this updated twist on Louise Fitzhugh's children's classic, intrepid writer Harriet Welsch is determined to become the class blogger despite stiff competition from her archrival, the snooty Marion Hawthorne.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Ron Oliver
- This movie is
NRGeneral Audience. Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access.
Harriet the Spy: Blog WarsClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that Harriet's brand of spying often borders on voyeurism and crime, since she breaks into hotel rooms, steals, and uses electronic sound equipment and her camera phone to dig up dirt on a teen heartthrob she's trying to defame. Though content like this is typically worrisome for kids and tweens, within the context of the movie it illustrates important points about privacy and the dangers of using the Internet (or other media) to bully or embarrass someone (since Harriet eventually learns from her mistakes). Similarly, Harriet's troubles with peer pressure, family, and friends speak to the importance of communication and respect -- themes that young viewers will be hard-pressed to miss.
- Sexual Content
- Teen girls swoon over a handsome actor and talk about him being "hot."
- Not applicable
- Sporadic use of "idiot" and "shut up," but nothing stronger.
- Social Behavior
- The movie promotes strong messages about privacy issues, as Harriet learns that invading someone's privacy can have far-reaching negative results. It also deals thoughtfully with issues like peer pressure and the tenuous nature of communication between kids and parents.
- Fans of the movie might be inspired to pick up the books that inspired it (but that's not really a bad thing, is it?).
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it