Hellboy: Animated: Blood & Iron
When a vampire destroyed decades ago is resurrected, supernatural agents Hellboy, Liz Sherman and Abe Sapien must pool their resources to stop a demon uprising. As they battle ghosts and hellhounds, a showdown brews with Hecate, queen of the witches.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; alternate ending; featurette.
Hellboy: Animated: Blood & IronClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this made-for-TV animated movie centers on the occult and can be quite scary. Based on a popular series of graphic novels known for their creepy depictions of the undead, it follows in the same vein. The storyline centers on vampires, and there's plenty of blood, including a few torture scenes. Blood seeps out from a ghastly torture device, victims are shown drained of blood, and some ghostly statues weep bloody tears. The overall effect is dark and spooky and could easily be disturbing for young viewers.
- Sexual Content
- Some female demons appear nude, but there's no sex.
- Hellboy and his colleagues are on a mission to destroy the undead, who don't tend to go quietly into the night. There's plenty of fighting, ranging from simple bashing and crashing to more subtle combat involving spiritual incantations. Though much of the violence is cartoonish, there's a lot of blood, and many of these bloody images can be pretty frightening.
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- Hellboy's organization functions much like a military unit. The characters tend to follow their orders, though often with a certain amount of griping. Though Hellboy sometimes prefers to follow his hunches instead of his orders, he reveres the group's leader, Dr. Broom, who's both a mentor and father-figure. The big, red demon's obvious compassion for the frail old man is touching.
- Part of a popular comic book franchise.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Hellboy loves a good cigar, but otherwise there's little drinking or drug use.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it