High School Musical
In this family-friendly phenomenon, basketball star Troy and brainy transfer student Gabriella defy their friends' expectations by choosing the school musical over their usual pursuits. Meanwhile, romance is in the air for the unlikely couple.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Kenny Ortega
- DVD, Blu-ray and streaming
TV-GGeneral Audience. Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
YesLanguage and sound
English: DTS 5.1 SurroundOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; sing-along version of film with lyrics on screen; making-of featurette; music videos.
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; making-of featurette; music videos.
High School MusicalClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this made-for-TV movie is hugely popular with tweens -- and has spawned its own marketing empire, from CDs to clothes to video games. Its sanitized depiction of high school may not ring true to older teens, but tweens will get strong messages about acceptance and being true to yourself -- as well as about supporting your friends when they want to try something new. A father-son relationship is tested when the boy asserts his independence, and there are some near-kisses between the lead couple, but overall this is tame stuff.
- Sexual Content
- Mild flirting, with the teenage leads almost sharing a kiss in the final scene. There's one kiss on the cheek, and Efron is shirtless in one scene.
- Not applicable
- "Shake your booty" pops up in song lyrics.
- Social Behavior
- Strong, clear positive messages about being true to yourself and reaching outside your comfort zone.
- Part of a gigantic marketing machine fueled by Disney.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it