His Girl Friday
Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) is about to get hitched to dull insurance agent Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy) -- that's if her ex-husband, ruthless newspaper publisher Walter Burns (Cary Grant), doesn't succeed in winning her back.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Howard Hawks
- TIME® Magazine List
- All-TIME 100 Movies
- Top 100 Laughs
NRNot rated. This movie has not been rated by the MPAA.
Full Screen 1.33:1Subtitles
NoLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish (Neutral): Dolby Digital MonoOther features
Filmed in B&W; interactive menus; scene access; production notes; audio commentary; featurette; cast/crew biographies; trailer(s).
His Girl FridayClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that while there's no sex or bad language in this film, you do see a character jump out the window to her death and many characters pull guns on one another. There's also a considerable amount of underhanded behavior. For instance, Walter has Bruce arrested twice, gives him counterfeit money, and plans to rig the election with biased reporting.
- Sexual Content
- Some gazing into eyes, but that's it.
- A surprising amount of violence, including a woman jumping from a window. We see her face-down on the pavement below. Gunshots are aimed at a press room. Many characters aim guns at one another. Characters threaten to hurt one another, saying things like "I'm going to kick you in the teeth."
- Not applicable
- Social Behavior
- A lot of underhanded behavior, including lying, passing counterfeit money, stealing, gambling, bribery, and conniving. There's also considerable sexism: When a woman walks into the newsroom, one of the reporters says, "Take off your shirt." On the plus side, Hildy is a strong female role model, showing tenacity, brains, and compassion.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Everyone smokes cigarettes and Hildy and Walter take their coffee with rum.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it