Soon after moving from Montana to Florida, middle schooler Roy Eberhardt (Logan Lerman) befriends Beatrice (Brie Larson), Mullet Fingers (Cody Linley) and a colony of endangered owls, which they work valiantly to protect from greedy developers. Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett is one of the co-producers behind this family-friendly adventure, based on the Newberry Honor-winning book by Carl Hiaasen. Luke Wilson co-stars.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Wil Shriner
- This movie is
- DVD and streaming
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1Subtitles
English, Spanish (Neutral)Closed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; deleted scenes; director's commentary; making-of featurette.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know the film concerns a corporation's illegal effort to build a restaurant on protected land. To stop a saboteur, the local corporate employee sets mousetraps and sends out trained attack dogs. The kids who are trying to stop the building also engage in illegal activities, such as setting loose alligators and cottonmouth snakes, deflating tires, spray-painting a police cruiser, organizing a town meeting under false pretenses, and tying up the villain in a closet. The company boss lies, cheats, and treats his girlfriend callously. Kids and adults use mildly obnoxious language ("dork," "sucks"). A chaste flirtation develops between the boy and girl protagonists.
- Sexual Content
- Very minor: cleavage shots as teenaged Beatrice wears bikini tops; bully appears in underwear.
- Bully picks on boy repeatedly; face mashed into a window; dog bite leaves bloody wound; villain sprays owl holes with fire extinguisher in an effort to kill them; villain tied and gagged in a closet.
- Mildly obnoxious language ("screwing up," "psycho bully," "darn," "dork," "sucks," "jerk," "dang," "nitwit," "idiot").
- Social Behavior
- The kids who are trying to stop the building engage in illegal activities.
- Not applicable
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Not applicable
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it