Three vacationing students backpack to a village in Slovakia looking for a hostel rumored to be brimming with wanton women, only to find themselves the objects of unimaginable torture in a house of twisted horrors.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Eli Roth
Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1Subtitles
English, FrenchClosed captioned
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1Other features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; director's commentary; making-of featurette.
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this film is absolutely not for kids. The premise and primary "plot" is torture, specifically, the torture of young travelers by wealthy adults who pay thousands of dollars for the experience. These images are graphic and bloody (severed limbs, penetrated genitals, sliced Achilles tendon, gouged eye, with weapons including scissors, chainsaws, knives, hammers, drills, clippers, guns, cars, and chairs). One character throws herself in front of a train when she sees her disfigurement following torture. These violent scenes are preceded by a sojourn in Amsterdam, featuring girls' breasts and one frontal nudity shot. Characters engage in boisterous sex and a man makes a homosexual pass at an unwilling young man. Characters smoke, drink, and do multiple sorts of drugs. Characters use frequent foul language (over 100 f-words, derogatory terms like "faggot" and, in this context, "gay," slang for genitals, "damn," "hell").
- Sexual Content
- Blatant female nudity (including one brief full frontal shot), sexual activity, incessant sexual slang and derogatory language.
- Gruesome, ongoing violence, in the form of torture and vengeful resistance to same (instruments include chainsaws, guns, knives, scissors, clippers, drills, hammers, pincers, and cars).
- Over 100 uses of the f-word in various forms, plus slang for genitals and sexual behaviors, plus assorted uses of "damn," "Jesus," and "hell."
- Social Behavior
- Rich people pay money to torture young tourists.
- Bars advertise brands of beer.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Characters smoke, drink to drunkenness, and do multiple drugs.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it