If You Build It
Hoping to renew the economic health of a rural North Carolina town, a designer and architect together create a new kind of high school design class. This documentary records their unique approach to the art of design and the positive results.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
If You Build ItClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that If You Build It is an inspiring documentary that shows just what can happen if you empower young people. Teen viewers will see admirable role models in the educators who persevere against challenging odds to bring a special program to high school kids. They will also see teens like themselves accomplish a lot when given the opportunity. There are a few scenes that show the adults drinking beer, but there's no swearing, smoking, drugs, violence or sex. This a film that almost any teen would benefit from seeing.
- Sexual Content
- Not applicable
- Some mild bickering.
- "Dangit" and "piss off" are about the roughest epithets heard here.
- Social Behavior
- Kids can do a whole lot more than they think, and definitely a whole lot more than most adults are willing to let them do. In this documentary, a class of 10 high school juniors in rural North Carolina, design and build a new farmers market for their town. It's a big project, and the manage to pull it off. In the process, they discover their own capabilities.
- Some consumer brands make brief appearences, including Pabst Blue Ribbon and Subway sandwiches.
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- A few scenes show adults drinking beer while they relax and one person mentions once his desire to "have a few beers" at the end of the day.
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it