In the Mix
A New York DJ winds up protecting the gorgeous daughter of a Mafia kingpin in this edgy romantic comedy. After he saves the life of a mob boss (Chazz Palminteri), DJ Darrell (Usher Raymond) is rewarded with a job guarding the don's daughter, Dolly (Emmanuelle Chriqui). There's sexy chemistry between the beauty and the bodyguard, much to the dismay of Dolly's old-school Italian papa, who's also dealing with a dangerous criminal power-play.
Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.
- Ron Underwood
- This movie is
YesLanguage and sound
English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 StereoOther features
Color; interactive menus; scene access; deleted scenes; director's commentary; making-of featurettes.
In the MixClose
Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that this movie includes shootings, beatings, and references to other forms of "mob violence" (one character says his car was blown up). A body appears in a car trunk. The movie features reductive stereotypes: ignorant Italian gangsters; a white boy who acts "hip-hop"; a sexually aggressive black woman; a precocious child (who uses sexual slang); bling-blingy cigar-smoking buddies for the DJ; and a "Big Mama." Characters drink and smoke; women at the dance club wear revealing clothing and dance provocatively.
- Sexual Content
- Girls in a nightclub dress and dance provocatively; visual and verbal jokes (alluding to fellatio, "," "" [male genitalia], " the nasty"); cleavage/butt shots in a yoga class; passionate kissing and groping; a soft-lit sex scene featuring closeups of hands and faces; several suggestive song lyrics (for example, "").
- Conventional mob violence (shootings, beat-downs, a flashing switchblade, tossing a beaten victim from a slowly moving car, a body in a car trunk, then visible in a coffin at the wake).
- Sexual references (e.g., "-style," " the nasty"), cursing (including f-word and s-word), plus an Italian derogatory term for "," "" (short for "," which translates to "").
- Social Behavior
- Mobsters are dumb or self-delusional; characters lie and betray one another.
- Aqua Day Spa, fridge shelves displaying Silk soy milk and Heinz ketchup; "Cosmo cover" car brands (Mercedes).
- Drugs / Tobacco / Alcohol
- Drinking (wine, beer, hard liquor) and smoking (cigarettes and cigars).
- Age appropriate
- Not an issue
- Depends on your kid and your family
- Not appropriate for kids of the age most likely to want to see it